Tuesday, August 16, 2011

[soggy] In The City!


It has been a rainy few days in Brooklyn. Streets are flooding and people are soaked, but I kind of like it. Living here has taught me that you have to be prepared for whatever Mother Nature may throw at you and I use days like these to break out my favorite addition to my wardrobe – my rain boots and flats! How perfect are these wellies?! In a city where black is the worshiped color, I often stand out, but I don’t mind, a pop of yellow and a fun stripe make my day better.























With the rain has come a whole new set of experiences. After Ruben was done taking him MPJE on Saturday, we went out with a group of friends to celebrate the end to his ridiculous amount of studying. We had a few drinks on the rooftop, went to Lombardi’s for a family meal and indulged in some oh-so-yummy Crepes from Viva la Crepe in Little Italy. Ruben was exhausted and we were home and in bed by 11:30 p.m. 


At around 2:40 a.m., both Ruben and I were startled awake by the loudest boom that we’ve ever heard. Since moving to NY, I’ve become a light sleeper and it is not unusual for me to wake up at the drop of a pin; however, Ruben can sleep through just about anything and the fact that he sat up when I did was even scarier.

We couldn’t figure out the noise was and we were both pretty convinced that when we lifted the shades, the building next to us would be just a pile of bricks. I grabbed my computer and began Googling what the noise was. I came across articles talking about rain pressure causing sewers to explode and lightening striking transformers, but nothing was coming up in our immediate area. Still a bit shaken up, we went back to sleep and decided to investigate in the morning.

I had a bit of running around to do on Sunday so before I left our building, I asked the gentleman at the front desk if he was here overnight. He said no and looked concerned over my inquiry. I explained that we heard a loud noise and were unsure if any other residents mentioned it to him. He said that the gentleman who was on overnight did not mention anything to him, but explained that the tall buildings have a way of making thunder echo and sound like explosions overhead – yeah…

No comments:

Post a Comment