Friday, August 12, 2011

[studying] In The City!


Ruben and I often discuss how it is so surreal that we actually live here since things seem to be so busy that time is just flying by. Wednesday marked exactly two months since we moved into our tiny, no bedroom, one bathroom studio and there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel. Tomorrow he takes his last licensing exam and can begin to focus solely on his residency and on me J

As such, yesterday he asked if I wanted to go to Chipotle for dinner with Rebecca, one of his co-residents, and then somewhere to study. Elated, I gathered up the materials for the super-secret project that I’ve been working on for a certain someone’s wedding next month (EEEKKK!), jammed them in my Vera Bradley backpack and we were off. Ruben had his messenger bag strapped across his chest and we walked briskly toward Chipotle, discussing potential wedding officiants that I had spoken to on the phone that afternoon – this was our evening commute. We approached the Brooklyn Tourism Center (my favorite building in BK) and there was a crowd gathered around a rather large group of people dancing in the square. We danced as we walked and were cracking up as we approached the crosswalk. We ate dinner, refilled our Coke Zero cups many times and had good conversation with Rebecca.

We decided to set up shop at the Starbucks down the street from Chipotle. After grabbing a cupcake from Crumbs, we spread out on a long conference table and stay put for more than 3 hours. We weren’t sure if it was all of the pharmacy law materials or the ridiculously bright project that I was working on, but fellow Starbucks-goers would not stop staring at our table.

Last night I caught myself staring at my future husband.  Lost in his thoughts and using every ounce of mental strength that he has left, he was cranking through pharmacy law like a champ. These past two months have been no joke and within a very short time, becoming licensed, completing the responsibilities of his residency and trying to maintain some sort of life has managed to test him to the point of exhaustion; but, I reckon, if anyone has the drive, stamina and the obsessive-need for knowledge that is crucial for completion of this year, it is him.



In less than 24 hours, I will finally get my honey back and I cannot be more excited. Fingers crossed for his patience, knowledge and confidence.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my...yet another awesome, poignant, heartfelt blog post by an amazing young woman - my daughter... Love and huge hugs to both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete